Coaches Corner Round 6

by Paul Satterley

We met a fierce opposition in St Bedes-Mentone this week on their smaller oval with a 3-4 goal wind favouring one end.

We kicked with the breeze in the first quarter and generated enough opportunities to score, but once again our inability to convert resulted in 2.4 and a lead of just eight points.

In the second quarter we withstood the pressure being applied to us around the ball and the game was very scrappy, with both sides not executing well. St Bedes kicked three goals to our one and held a six point lead at the main break. Unfortunately Jason Tutt came off injured in the second and did not return.

At halftime we spoke about playing more direct and improving our forward 50 entries, but once again the pressure around the ball made it very difficult to get a clean chain of possessions. We kicked 1.4 to 1.6, now eight points down and unable to capitalise on the scoring end – we lost Jack Vickers during the quarter as well.

We had our chances in the last but simply did not take them. Our execution let us down and we didn’t run to take ground as per our style. St Bedes laid 28 tackles to our 17 in the final quarter so they did everything right on the smaller ground.

We had too many players down on the day.

Our two skippers Sam Williams and Tom Humphrey led from the front and David Lowe was super combative. Adrian Indovino kicked three of our six goals, David Convery continued his excellent form whilst Jake Williams, Andrew Walker and Matt Cullinan tried hard.

We meet a red hot undefeated Collegians at home this week and will need to come to play.

by Jack McDonald

We travelled out to Mentone with high expectations and couldn’t have asked for better conditions – a bright, sunny day, perfect for footy.

I told the boys that despite the fact St Bedes two’s have yet to register a win, they are always hard to beat at home.

We kicked with the breeze in the first quarter and early on St Bedes were harder than us. We ramped up the intensity and took control of the game, kicking 6.2 to 1.3 – a good start and our confidence was high. We played our style and ran the ball at all opportunities.

We knew they would come back as the wind increased and that, they did. We were undisciplined in the second quarter and stopped running . This allowed St Bedes to take control and at halftime it was St Bedes 6.7 to our 6.3… Game on.

After half time we introduced club legend Joe Black in his return from an ACL. We were looking forward to his dashing run off half back and one passage of play where he took four running bounces drew an enormous roar from the crowd. It is great to have him back.

At three quarter time St Bedes held a nine point lead but we were still in the game.
We had great contributions from Ben Nethersole, Sam Michael and young Harry Morris, who worked his butt off. Our captain Ryan McDonough kicked a couple of nice goals and Steve Hogan dominated the ruck.

In the end, we couldn’t quite get the job done. The final score was 11.13.79 to 9.8.62. To St Bede’s credit they used the ball better than our boys. Again we continue to learn. They played the conditions better than us.

Our boys have only one option – they need to keep turning up and to keep cracking in. Onwards & Upwards!

19 Blues
by Nick Hyland

We were looking to keep our momentum rolling as we faced St Bernard’s at home on a perfect day for footy.

The team was yet to put a full four quarter performance in this year and that was the main focus going into the game.

We welcomed Matt Tyquin and Mark O’Connor in for their first Blues game of the year. Kicking against the wind in the first, we were able to get our running game going and challenge the opposition with our spread and quick ball use. Our forwards made the most of our dominance and we were able to get impact on the scoreboard early.

The second quarter was a bit scrappy. To St Bernard’s credit, they stepped up their intensity. They were cracking in and the game turned into a slow, congested contest. We failed to make significant use of the wind but were still able to take a handy buffer into the main break.

The boys were challenged at half time to be really bold and aggressive with the ball and play the second half on our terms.

To their credit, that’s exactly what they did. We played our brand of footy and we were able to get right on top of the opposition. Captains Pennell and O’Callaghan led the way in the middle, while debutants Tyquin and O’Connor were proving to be very handy inclusions. Morgan put together another strong performance and was able to get on the end of our good work and kick an impressive eight goals. His aerial work was outstanding all day.

Overall it was another pleasing performance, probably our most complete game of the year. We look forward to another strong challenge next week when we travel to Camberwell to take on Old Scotch.

Final Scores:
DLS 22-14-146 def St Bernard’s 4-4-28
Best: Tyquin, Morgan, Pennell, O’callaghan, O’Connor, Deftereos

19 Golds
by Martin Kelliher

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, the Golds again started extremely slowly and in the end lost a game they could have won. In a game which was always going to be a test the Golds allowed St. Bernard’s to physically dominate and dictate play for the opening 25 minutes in which they built a match-winning lead.

To their credit the Golds tried to redeem the situation. The second half saw the boys chip away at the deficit. The game tightened up and was in the balance as we approached the last 10 minutes.

Indeed, it was somewhat surprising but really pleasing when we were kicking into the breeze to see the visitors drop players behind the ball to try to save the game rather than win it.

In the end a lack of running power and the poor opening quarter cost us as the visitors kicked a junk time goals to get clear. After the first quarter we kicked 8.6 to 8.2 so it’s clear to the players that if we start well, we can win – it’s that simple.

We were well led by Pat Cook with six goals along. Riley Watson, Mitch Riley, Michael Canny, Ricky Rando and Danny Melissinos worked tirelessly to push the ball forward and keep those flickering hopes alive that we could actually pinch the game.

After being under siege in the opening quarter, the backs led by Tom Harrington and an improving Liam Kelliher fought back against taller forwards to get us back on track.

Next week we take on Old Scotch in what will now be pretty much a must-win game. We would hope that a) we get more blokes to training, b) we have a four quarter effort and c) we actually have enough players who want to win.

Final scores: Golds 9.6.60 lost to St. Bernard’s 13.3.81
Better players: Cook, Rando, Watson, Riley, Kelliher, Manakis

by John McDonough – Happiest Coach in the VAFA.

St Mary’s had played and lost to the top two teams in the last two outings and we looked forward to finding out where we were at. We shot out of the blocks with a great snap goal in the first three minutes, followed by another soon after.

St Mary’s responded with two goals in the first and we had a good game of footy unfolding.
At half time it was only two points the difference with both teams three goals each. We were not playing our best footy, but the effort and structure was very good.

We had to make some changes at half time as the opposition coach had started to put spares across half back and through the middle (yep… we are playing for sheep stations! I hope St Mary’s know where to buy plenty of sheep).

Unfortunately we had a multiple of injuries in the third quarter and lost our momentum. We finished the game with only 17 on the park and plenty of tired bodies and in the end we went down 3.1.19 to 5.6.36.

It was great to see some of the players who are still learning the game step up. Congratulations to the group again on their effort and eagerness to improve.

Best players were Bec Fietz , Claire Clarke, Carle’ Rooks, Hannah Whittaker, Steph McMurray and Brooke Robertson.

We look better and better each week. Next week we play the top side and we should get eight players back. A bigger bench will help.

Up the guns ??

by Steven Ingram

Back at home with a 9.20am start saw us confronted with the usual wet and dewy conditions.

We began well dominating general play but didn’t adapt to the wet conditions and turned the ball over many times. We were lucky Williamstown did not advantage of these turnovers and take these chances and went into the half time break with a good lead but against a stronger opponent, the scores would have been a lot closer.

We addressed our play at half time and with conditions now close to perfect came out and played a ripper third quarter, the way we train and want to play. We continued our dominance in the last but must continue to take game on and take advantage of the space, look for the 45 and switch kicks and run the ball.

We had a really good contribution across the board but in and under captain Adam Martuccio had the ball on a string and Cam Roberts continued his great form across the wing. It was great to see lifelong friends Harry Gustin (who showed the way to play early) and the Squire boys, Jack and Joe play their first ever game together.

Final Scores: De La 12.15.87 def Williamstown 1.8.14.
Goal Kickers: J. Gregory 3, B. Cooke 2, E. Kingsley 2, J. Squires, C. Day, J. Squires, J. Caruso, O. Gunning
Best Players: A. Martuccio, C. Roberts, J. Gregory, H. Gustin, M. Doherty, J. Brasher

by Rob Breda

By Peter Harrison

The De La Dino’s continued upon their winning ways Sunday with an easy win over Old Scotch-South Yarra at the Dairy Dome.

With the De La President and other club hierarchy watching from the sideline, the team was keen to deliver a win. The result was never in doubt, but Old Scotch played the game out till the final siren. We won it 18.11.119 to 5.5.35.

Whilst we had winners all over the ground a few special mentions to the efforts of Ben Corin who rucked tirelessly all day and kicked a trademark 70m goal. Jimmy Seletto continued his stellar season with a terrific game down back. “The recruit” Matty Higgins looked sharp up forward and showed he has plenty to offer.

A very strong return by Matt Durack was arguably the highlight of the day, with his usual blinding pace and marking on show. Chicken Palmer found plenty of footy again, so much so he probably took the game ball home with him. Paul Hesse & Iggy provided plenty of mid-field grunt (as usual).

This game also marked a significant milestone with Andrew Mackintosh playing his 50th game for the Dino’s. Anyone who has spent any time at the club realises what a legend Macca is and what he means to his current teammates and the club in general. Macca has played a significant role in getting the Dino’s up and running, and maintaining its standing within the super rules competition. On behalf of the club and his teammates we congratulate Macca on his achievement.

In other related “game news” the Dino’s are pleased to announce a NEW major sponsor, Malvern Auto Tech (head to 115 Malvern Road). If you have any problems with your car of any kind, we suggest you get along to see Matt Webb who will take care of all your needs. Matt & Malvern Auto Tech are winners just like the Dino’s!

#Dino’s Footy